The Key Role of The School Governors:
- To ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- To hold the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- To oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
They also carry out a number of other important duties, which include:
- Determining how the school's budget is spent
- The appointing and dismissing of staff
- Hearing appeals and grievances
- Forming policy on the school's curriculum
- Setting standards for pupils' behaviour and discipline
- Making sure school buildings are welcoming and safe
- Setting and monitoring the school's aims and policies
Effective governance will include these core features:
- Commitment to ongoing development and to getting to know the school well, including effective induction.
- Commitment to playing an active part whilst working as part of a team.
- Ability to provide robust challenge and hold school leaders to account whilst listening to and respecting the views of others.
- Focus on a strategic role rather than involvement in operational matters
A Governor does NOT:
Write school policies
- Undertake audits of any sort – whether financial or health & safety - even if the governor has the relevant professional experience
- Spend much time with the pupils of the school – if you want to work directly with children, there are many other voluntary valuable roles within the school
- Fundraise – this is the role of the PTA – the governing body should consider income streams and the potential for income generation, but not carry out fundraising tasks
- Undertake classroom observations to make judgements on the quality of teaching – the governing body monitors the quality of teaching in the school by requiring data from the senior staff and from external sources
- Do the job of the school staff – if there is not enough capacity within the paid staff team to carry out the necessary tasks, the governing body need to consider and rectify this
Little Hoole Primary School Governors (for more information about specific governors click on their name)
Mr J Rainsford
Mrs L Pearson
Mrs K Mansfield
The Clerk to the Governors is Mr Bernard Golding.